‘a rich addition to English South African writing … there is not a single poem in this volume that does not expand the reader’s consciousness … this is a literary poetry, rich in ideas’ Ingrid Jonker Prize press release
‘Tania van Schalkwyk’s poems are warm, sensuous memories that often shock and surprise at the same time … They are not just on inner space, but are poems of place, as they move from islands to the veld, from cities to the desert.’ Lindsey Collen, author of The Rape of Sita, Mutiny and Boy, and twice winner of the Commonwealth Writers Prize, Africa
‘It is the special gift of Tania van Schalkwyk’s poems to translate into memorable speech a life which, given its diverse origins, might well have been “lost in translation”.’ Stephen Watson, Professor of English, University of Cape Town, and author of Return of the Moon, Presence of the Earth, and The Other City
Recommended retail price: print R95, PDF R60, epub (with audio) R95.
- Buy the epub ebook, which includes 22 audio tracks (18 poems read by the poet, and 4 with soundscape mixes).
- Buy the PDF ebook, a faithful reproduction of the print edition.
- Buy in print from Amazon.com.
- Buy in print from Amazon.co.uk.
- Bookstores: order from us at EBW (South Africa), or Ingram, Bertrams or Gardners internationally.
About the author
Tania van Schalkwyk is the hybrid of a Hamburg sailor and a Mauritian artist, born in Africa, raised in Arabia and matured in Europe. She publishes, performs and exhibits her poetry and multi-media collaborations across the globe, and has an MA in Creative Writing from UCT. Tania lives between Cape Town and the Piketberg mountains.
Photo by Nicholas Percival
- Tania van Schalkwyk and Terry Westby-Nunn's short-film version of Tania's prose poem 'The Electrician'.
- BOOKSA and Zoopy video coverage of the incredible launch at DEEP.
- This reading by Tania at Badilisha
- This review (in Afrikaans) from Die Burger newspaper from 29 March 2010.
- This review (in French) by Jean-Francois Leckning (a scan from a mag, a 500KB jpeg)
- This interview with Tania (in Afrikaans) from Die Burger newspaper from 10 January 2011, on the collection and winning the Ingrid Jonker Prize (700K jpg).
- An intro to and samples of Tania's work on AbsolutePoetry (in Italian)
- Grace Kim's review of Hyphen on SLiP
Note: the PDF ebook edition available from the Scribd store ($5.99, US only) is a mirror of the print edition. Click here to buy the epub edition ($9.99), which includes audio of the poet reading.
978-1-920218-34-8 (paperback print edition)
978-1-920218-35-5 (reflowable ebook edition)
978-1-920218-37-9 (PDF ebook edition)